Arlington’s mix of industries and talent is exceptionally diverse, and extends well beyond government research into cutting-edge areas of technology and commerce. Media organizations, nonprofits, think tanks and technology firms have flocked to Arlington for its central location within the region, its talented workforce, and its distinctive energy and urban appeal.
Lots of people are talking about alternative energy. And in Arlington, the most powerful alternative energy around is brainpower. Smart, creative, well-educated people are the most sought-after, highly prized commodity for any organization.
- The highest concentration of 25–34 year olds in the region
- One of the most extraordinary and exciting areas in the region to work.
- The most highly educated community in the Washington, D.C. region: nearly 70% of Arlingtonians hold bachelor degrees, and over a quarter hold advanced degrees.
- A creative-class community, topping the chart within the Washington D.C. metropolitan area for its creative core of residents, its diversity, its educational attainment and its technology base.
Additional accolades for Arlington include:
- Ranked Arlington as America’s Second Best City – Bloomberg BusinessWeek, 2011
- Ranked as 4th "Least Stressed County" in the U.S. – Associated Press, 2011
- 2nd Healthiest County in Virginia – County Health Rankings, 2011
- Arlington Named No. 9 "Richest County" – Forbes, 2010
- 4th in “Top 10 Richest Areas” in U.S. – BizJournals, 2010
- Selected as one of the “Top Seven Intelligent Communities” globally – The Intelligent Community Forum, 2010
- Ranked as “one of the least 20 economically stressed counties in the United States” – Associated Press, 2010
- 2nd in “Households Age 25–43 with Income $100K” – Nielson Company
- Affirmed Triple-AAA bond rating – Moodys, Standard and Poors, Fitch, 2009
- Hailed as an “oasis of stability amid a downturn” – New York Times, 2009
- Ranked as the “safest city in which to weather a recession” – Business Week, 2008
- Awarded “America’s Great Places” designation – American Planning Association, 2008
- Ranked as the “Top Wealth Center” in the nation – BizJournals, 2008
Arlington’s creative community status results from the values and mission of the community itself, creating a place where people want to both live and work.Communities become and remain successfulbased on the types of people they are able to attract. Companies benefit by drawing from a talented workforce that has a stake in its community.
Get the latest demographic data on Arlington.
Hear what others are saying about Arlington:
"The move from the District to Arlington was a sound business decision that factored in both staff and leadership considerat ions. Arlington is a safe, modern and growing location, close to Washington, D.C., offering outstanding amenities and conveniences including transit options, hotels, shopping and eating establishments. Plus, AED staff made the move easy and stress-free. They gave us the feeling that we were special and that they wanted us to come to Arlington."
– Donald C. Cook, Jr., VP, Operations & Support Services, National Crime Prevention Council
"All of the resources I need to get my job done are right here in Arlington. I'm proud to be a part of a community that people care so much about."
– Christina Murata, Ph.D. Chief Science Officer Bio-defense Industry
"Arlington is a perfect location to form the multidisciplinary, multiinstitutional teams which are the trend in the biomedical research we’re conducting at Virginia Tech."
– Yue Wang, Ph.D., Professor of Electrical, Computer & Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Tech Advanced Research Institute
"Arlington is attracting residents and businesses that want an independent upscale restaurant in their neighborhood. It’s important to us to be part of a growing community. And we’ve been lucky enough to grow along with it."
– Tracy O’Grady, Chef & Co-Founder, Willow Restaurant
"Arlington is truly a livable community–built and planned in a way that promotes interaction and contact between community members."
– Carol Rickard-Brideau, AIA, Managing Partner/Little A Diversified Architectural Consulting Firm