The Economic Development Commission formed a Task Force in 2008 to review retail policies to include the Retail Action Plan, standard site plan conditions, and various provisions of the zoning and sign ordinances. Their analysis -- Bistros, Banks, & Boutiques -- was focused on the characteristics of successful retail. They presented a series of recommendations that they delivered to the County Board in a work session in July 2010. As a tandem study, AED staff prepared Room for Improvement, a compilation of some of the problems that revised policies would be designed to solve.
As a follow-up to the work session, County staff will prepare a new retail policy, focused countywide and designed to replace the 2003 Retail Action Plan. Modifications to various guidelines, regulations and ordinances will follow as Arlington continues to foster a successful, fun and sustainable retail environment.
- Urban Retail: Inside, Outside and All-around (pdf) - Sept. 2011
- Clarendon Retail: the Past Five Years (pdf) - Aug. 2011
- Room for Improvement (pdf) - March 2010
- Bistros, Banks, & Boutiques (pdf) - Dec. 2009
- Current Assessment of Arlington's Community Retail Base (pdf) - Aug. 2003